2021 Scholarship Application Checklist
Please use the following checklist to make sure your scholarship application is complete. The scholarship committee is not responsible for notifying you if required information is missing from your application or for lost or misdirected Email messages. Please submit all items via Email to email@example.com. We will reply to your message to confirm receipt of your materials. When submitting your application, make sure to include the following items:
- Completed 2021 Scholarship Application Form: Incomplete application forms will not be considered. Please write a response for each item in the application form. If an item does not apply to you, write "N/A".
- NFB of Michigan Interview: This interview will be conducted via voice by the Scholarship Committee of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan. To schedule an interview contact the scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One letter of recommendation: This letter of recommendation should come from a professor, teacher, employer, or a member of the community who is qualified to speak on your behalf. A good letter of recommendation should highlight your achievements in and out of the classroom as well as potential leadership skills.
- Current Transcripts: Please send a current transcript from the institution you are currently attending as well as any other post-secondary institutions you have attended. If you have completed less than 20 credit hours of post-secondary education, please email your high school transcript.
- Verification of Blindness: All scholarship applicants must be legally blind. Applicants must verify they are legally blind by emailing a letter from a qualified professional such as an optometrist, ophthalmologist, vocational rehabilitation counselor, special education professional, disability support services office, or NFB of Michigan board member or chapter president.
All scholarship materials must be received by the scholarship committee by October 20, 2021. No materials will be considered after the deadline. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the scholarship chairperson, Sabrina Simmons, via email at email@example.com.
Description of Awards
- The Gere Wilcox Scholarship- $1000: The highest scholarship offered by the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan. This award is bestowed to the student applicant that achieves impressive academic standing in their educational institution, a dedication to the equality and advocacy of the blind, a commitment to productivity in their community, and encourages the progression of themselves/their profession.
- The Joy and Allen Harris Award: $500: This academic merit award is bestowed to the student applicant that achieves commendable academic standing and a commitment to growth of their community.
- The Larry Posont Award- $250: This award, sponsored by the Michigan Association of Blind Students, is bestowed upon the student applicant that is dedicated to the progression and effectiveness of blind students within their community, state, and/or nation as evidenced in past actions and future endeavors.
**Only one application form is required for consideration for all three scholarships. Please complete the required materials on the checklist once.**